Historic Preservation Grants Fund Capital Projects at Three National Historic Landmarks and
Seven Other Notable Historic Properties
The Hogan administration today announced that 10 projects were recently awarded funds by the Maryland Historical Trust (MHT) through the Historic Preservation Capital Grant Program, which assists brick-and-mortar historic preservation projects across Maryland. MHT, an agency of the Maryland Department of Planning (Planning), received more than 40 applications for projects competing for $600,000 in available grants, demonstrating strong demand for the funding across the state.
“The program encourages restoration and rehabilitation of historic properties across the state and is one more way we can preserve and protect Maryland’s history and culture” said Governor Larry Hogan.
The Capital Grant Program provides support for physical preservation projects as well as for architectural, engineering, archeology, and consulting services needed in the development of a construction project. Acquisition of properties can also be funded. All assisted properties are either listed on or are eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. Organizations may request up to $100,000 per project.
Governor Hogan restored funding for this program in 2018; the first time funding was made available in nearly a decade.
Since its inception in 1978, the Capital Grant Program has assisted hundreds of properties in every county and Baltimore City. Nonprofits, local jurisdictions, business entities, and individuals are all eligible.
MHT was formed in 1961 to assist in identifying, studying, evaluating, preserving, protecting, and interpreting the state’s significant prehistoric and historic districts, sites, structures, cultural landscapes, heritage areas, cultural objects, and artifacts, as well as less tangible human and community traditions. Through research, conservation, and education, MHT assists the people of Maryland in understanding their historical and cultural heritage.
Online applications for FY21 Capital Grant Program funding will be available in early 2021 on MHT’s website at mht.maryland.gov/grants_capital.shtml. Application deadlines and workshop dates will be announced later this year.
For more information about the Capital Grant Program, please contact Barbara Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org
Details on the projects receiving grants are below.
Lovely Lane United Methodist Church (Baltimore City) ($100,000)
Grantee: The Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the City and Precincts of Baltimore (nonprofit)
Constructed 1882-1887, Lovely Lane Methodist Church is the Mother Church of American Methodism and was designed by noted architect Stanford White, of McKim, Meade, and White. The chapel has 27 original stained glass windows made by Louis C. Tiffany and Company. The grant funds will be used to restore the stained glass windows. The church has also received a $250,000 National Fund for Sacred Places grant, the only one in Maryland.
Schifferstadt Architectural Museum (Frederick County) ($40,000)
Grantee: Frederick County Landmarks Foundation, Inc. (nonprofit)
The Schifferstadt Architectural Museum is one of America’s finest examples of German colonial architecture. A National Historic Landmark, it is one of the earliest known homes in Frederick, and is an outstanding example of a Georgian-period house, influenced by German-American culture and building traditions. The grant funds will be used to prevent further water intrusion into the house by repairing windows and doors, installing a gutter system, and interior and exterior repointing of the walls.
His Lordship’s Kindness (Prince George’s County) ($100,000)
Grantee: John M. and Sara R. Walton Foundation, Inc. (nonprofit)
His Lordship’s Kindness, a National Historic Landmark, is known for its landscape, variety of original outbuildings, and the main house, Poplar Hill. The two-story brick, five-part house is an exemplary specimen of Georgian architecture. The grant funds will be used for urgent work on both the main house and outbuildings, where priorities have been identified including woodwork and roof repairs.
Mount Clare Museum (Baltimore City) ($11,000)
Grantee: The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Maryland, Inc. (nonprofit)
The Mount Clare Mansion is an 18th century five-part Georgian house with reconstructed wings and hyphens. Also a National Historic Landmark, the house historically belonged to the Carroll Family and is now a public museum with meeting space, while the grounds are part of Carroll Park. Grant funds will be used to repair the exterior doors of the house that were badly damaged during an attempted break-in.
Bostwick House (Prince George’s County) ($76,000)
Grantee: George A. and Carmel D. Aman Memorial Trust (nonprofit)
Bostwick House is one of four pre-Revolutionary war structures in Bladensburg. Built in 1746 for a prominent merchant, the two-and-a-half-story brick house dominates the property that overlooks the Anacostia River at the former Port of Bladensburg. Grant funds will be used to repair the buttress at the south elevation, which includes a structural analysis. The buttress was damaged by a microburst weather event in 2012, and then partially deconstructed and studied to understand its purpose as a structural element.
National Park Seminary (Montgomery County) ($100,000)
Grantee: Save Our Seminary at Forest Glen Inc. (nonprofit)
In 1887, National Park Seminary was originally constructed as a resort hotel, but spent most of its existence as an educational facility or under ownership of the U.S. Army. In 1927 the grand ballroom was added. Unlike other structures on the campus, the ballroom has Gothic rather than Beaux-Arts features. Grant funds will be used to restore all 14 stained glass windows in the grand ballroom. The comprehensive repair of these windows addresses the last major component of the revitalization of the seminary complex’s main building.
Ebenezer A.M.E. Church and Parish House (Baltimore City) ($100,000)
Grantee: Ebenezer Kingdom Builders Inc. (nonprofit)
Built in 1865 for a congregation organized in 1836, Ebenezer A.M.E. Church is thought to be the oldest standing church in Baltimore that was erected by African Americans and continuously occupied by the descendants of the same congregation. This brick Gothic Revival church has a prominent bell tower and the parish house is located in an adjoining rowhouse. Grant funds will be used to complete an ongoing slate roof repair, which has reached the end of its useful life.
Calvin B. Taylor House (Worcester County) ($45,000)
Grantee: Berlin Heritage Foundation, Inc. (nonprofit)
The Calvin B. Taylor House is an 1832 front-gable dwelling with Federal and Greek revival architectural features. The house type and style is distinct to Berlin and Worcester County. Today the property houses a museum and has been meticulously restored and furnished to reflect domestic life in the 1830s. The roof of the building has reached its useful life, so the grant funds will be used to replace the wood shingle roof.
B&O WB Tower (Frederick County) ($15,000)
Grantee: Mayor and Council of Brunswick (local government)
Constructed circa 1910, the B&O WB Tower is the westbound railroad tower for the Brunswick stop. This vernacular structure is an example of a typical building type for the B&O Railroad at that time. The tower is another link to Brunswick’s strong association with the railroad. The tower has been given to the City of Brunswick by CSX. Grant funds will be used to save the tower from demolition by moving it to a nearby parcel. If not moved, the building will be demolished.
Christ Rock M.E. Church (Dorchester County) ($13,000)
Grantee: The Friends of Stanley Institute, Inc. (nonprofit)
Christ Rock Church was constructed in 1875. Along with the Stanley Institute School, they are the focus of the African American settlement that arose at Christ Rock, outside of Cambridge, just after the Civil War. The church is no longer used for religious purposes and is now a community center. Grant funds will be used to repaint the exterior to protect the wood siding, which will help the church reach its final steps to completing their overall capital project.