On February 24, 2018 at 3:01 pm, a fire at 52235 Long View Beach Road, St Leonard, was discovered by the owners. The St Leonard Volunteer Fire Department responded. The fire, in the 2 story single family home, started in the kitchen. The fire was the result of the stove top being on and unattended, which ignited material sitting on the cook-top resulting in the kitchen fire.
Two adults and 1 dog were displaced as a result of the fire and are being assisted by the American Red Cross. There was a smoke alarm present and activated.
The preliminary cause was ruled accidental. The estimated loss to the structure is $20,000 and to the contents $15,000.