Members benefit programs include:
Any active member of a Calvert County Volunteer Fire-Rescue-EMS Department is immediately eligible to participate in a child or an adult day care reimbursement benefit if that member attends a training course (excluding company drills) or staffs a shift. Training is a maximum of $20.00 for each child. Staffing a shift is considered at a Part-time rate of $20.00 per child for 4 to 6 hours and at a full time rate of $30.00 per child for 6.5 hours and over. The volunteer member may select the daycare provider as long as the daycare provider doesn’t reside in the same residence of the provider claiming the daycare benefit or is a parent / guardian of child / adult day care participant.
The member is required to complete an individual Day Care Form for each day/night stating the date and time the member volunteered or attended training during which day care services were provided. The Form must be received by the Fire-Rescue-EMS Office within 30 day’s of the date of the daycare reimbursement request. The forms are available on-line, at the Station or can be obtained through the Recruitment and Retention Office. The participating member, the Department Chief, the Department President as well as the day care provider are required to sign the form verifying this information. The Chief and President can designate an alternate to sign in their absence ex: out of town for an extended period, extended illness, etc. This designation must be provided in writing to Fire-Rescue-EMS along with the date(s) that this person will be acting in their behalf. A Signature Verification Card must be completed by all parties. Once completed, the form is then returned to the Recruitment and Retention Specialist who will submit the payment form to the County’s Finance and Budget Office. The Finance and Budget office will issue the check directly to the day care provider.
The day care benefit is a reimbursement program. The reimbursement will be provided for only those dates and times that a shift is covered or training attended by a volunteer member. Day care providers’ fees may be pro-rated to a daily rate and maximum daily rate is $30.00 for each child. (For example: The provider charges $200 a week. The member covers a shift on two days during a week. The reimbursement check would be in the amount of $60.)The day care provider will be issued a 1099 tax form at the end of the calendar year. Any volunteer receiving $600 or more in day care expense reimbursement during a calendar year will receive a 1099 form.
The member and the provider are urged to discuss the payment arrangements prior to participating in the program to be certain the payment arrangements are understood and satisfactory to the member and to the provider. In addition, the provider and the member are responsible for keeping their own records of services provided and payments received.
Forms are due for FALL 2015 College Schedule by June 30, 2015.
- The Calvert County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) provides a “Tuition Assistance Program” to qualified volunteer Fire-Rescue-EMS members
- The BOCC currently funds the program at ($50,000), to be divided equally among the volunteer departments ($6,250) each fiscal year.
- This program will assist in funding tuition, registration, lab, tele-course, web fees and books for college, technical school or other professional education or certification programs
- Other itemized costs, such as activity, instructional, late registration, and drop/add fees, supplies and transportation will be the responsibility of the member.
- No tuition expenses will be subject to reimbursement without prior written approval. Applicants who are subject to reimbursements will be required to present evidence of successful course completion prior to reimbursement.
- Each department Chief and President, by signing completed applications, shall approve requested funding amount for each applicant. This should be with consideration of the funding ($6,250) per department, per fiscal year.
- Any funding portion not used by any individual department by November 30th, will be made available for other department’s use
- Fire-Rescue-EMS Volunteer must be a current “active volunteer member” as defined in the Calvert County Code, Title 14: Length of Service Awards Program (LOSAP)
- Fire-Rescue-EMS Departments:
At the time of application, the volunteer member must have completed two (2) years of active volunteer service, defined as:
- Twelve (12) points per month for eighteen (18) of the previous twenty-four (24) months
- The point system requires twelve (12) points each month ¬follows:
- Eight (8) points for calls, and
- Four (4) points for any combination of calls, training, drills, meetings or collateral
- Volunteers who have successfully completed the Career Tech Program as a High School Student (defined as: receiving MFRI Fire Fighter 1 and MIEMSS Emergency Medical Technician certification) are excluded from the (2) years of active service requirement
After 25 years and a certain age requirement… volunteers are eligible for retirement through a county program.
House keys for Employees:
As part of the State of Maryland’s More House 4 Less program, Calvert County was the first County in the State to join the House Keys for Employees initiative. House Keys for Employees provides additional opportunity for affordable home ownership for the County’s working population. It is an employer partnership initiative that matches funds for closing costs and down payments for eligible employees to purchase a home. Eligible employees/Fire-Rescue-EMS Volunteers are those who have not owned a principal residence in the last three years, and meet specific eligibility requirements. Local match for private sector and public sector employees could total up to $5,000, equivalent to the State benefit/contribution.
Tickets at Work Benefit Program:
We are pleased to announce this New Recruitment and Retention Benefit Program to ALL Calvert-County-Fire Rescue-EMS Volunteers! Through Tickets at Work, you will receive discounts and special access to theme parks and attractions including the Walt Disney World® Resort, Universal Studios®, Las Vegas and New York City shows and performances, Disneyland®, SeaWorld®, Six Flags, and Cirque du Soleil! Also check with TicketsatWork.com for savings on car rental, hotels, tours and attractions across the US. If you’re staying local, save on movie tickets, sporting events, and other special events.
Visit the website: www.TicketsatWork.com , Click on the “Become a Member” Box at the top of the homepage. You will then be prompted to create a username and password, and enter our company code: CCFREMS.
Once enrolled, you will have access to discounts on theme parks and attractions nationwide.