Recently the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs, Maryland’s premier minor league baseball team announced that on Opening Day the team would present the first 1,000 fans with live hermit crabs and terrariums. Following the announcement, thousands of emails, calls and posts have been received by the team, evenly split between pro-giveaway and no-giveaway sentiments, but 100% of the comments expressing respect and admiration for our indigenous Hermit Crabs.
As a result of the feedback, the Blue Crabs have decided to expand the Opening Day festivities on Friday, April 24, 2015 as follows:
- For Opening Day, the team name will be changed to the “Southern Maryland Hermit Crabs”.
- To honor this historic name change, the Hermit Crab players will don special jerseys saluting the loveable crustaceans. The Hermit Crab jerseys will be auctioned off with all proceeds from the jersey auction presented to the Hermit Crab Association. Fans are encouraged to learn about the group’s hermit crab rescue efforts by visiting http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com.
- Members of the Hermit Crab Association will be invited to throw out the Opening Day ceremonial first pitch. There will also be opportunities for hermit crab activists to speak to fans in attendance about the pros and cons of keeping domesticated Hermit Crabs.
- Fans are encouraged to purchase tickets early as the team will be celebrating this event by giving away PLASTIC hermit crab figurines to the first 1,000 fans through the gates of Regency Furniture Stadium that evening.
- The team will also be hosting an all-you-can-eat crab feast in the stadium picnic area during the game. Fans will be able to enjoy all-you-can-eat crabs, macaroni salad, hot dogs, chips, and soda for just $40 per person. Tickets are available by calling 301-638-9788.
- Exclusively available to Hermit Crab advocates (everyone!), the team is offering a specially priced ticket of just $10 for the game on April 24. Advocates can take advantage of this great deal by logging onto the official website of the team formerly known as the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs. To redeem this exclusive promotion, click on http://www.somdbluecrabs.com/event/details/10 and enter the promo code “FREETHEHERMIT”.
After the game on April 24, the team will return to its original Southern Maryland Blue Crabs name for the remainder of the season.
“The last two days have not only shown me that there is a large group of Hermit Crab enthusiasts but also that they happen to be some of the most passionate people that I have ever encountered,” said Courtney Knichel, Assistant General Manager of the Southern Maryland Hermit Crabs. “Being able to dedicate our biggest game of the season to this tiny, loveable animal really solidifies what Crustacean Nation is all about!”
About the Southern Maryland Hermit Crabs The Hermit Crabs (formerly known as the “Blue Crabs”) play 140 regular season games in the Atlantic League, considered the highest level of Minor League Baseball. Atlantic League players are “Major League-ready” and over the last 16 years, more than 600 players have advanced from Atlantic League clubs to Major League organizations, making the Atlantic League a preferred route for experienced players to be scouted by Major League Baseball. The Hermit Crabs play at Regency Furniture Stadium in Waldorf, Maryland. The franchise will look to open its eighth season on Friday, April 24, 2015. Please call 301-638-9788 or visit http://www.somdbluecrabs.com for more information and to reserve your seat at the ballpark today!