On March 8, 2016, The Prince Frederick Volunteer Fire Department was alerted for a smoke investigation around 6 p.m. in the area of Old Adelina Road.
A neighbor in the area, according to Active 911, called for help and said the person living next door needed the fire department.
The Prince Frederick units arrived to find a one story single family home at 1770 Old Adelina Road fully involved, combined with a major brush fire. Deputy Fire Chief Jason Sharpe confirmed all occupants were out of the house, but the integrity of the structure was significantly compromised.
A further investigation revealed one of the brothers sprang into action, running into the burning home to rescue his own brother, who is believed to be blind. The same brother also successfully rescued the family dog.
Although the seeing impaired brother and dog appeared to be okay on the scene, the brother who made the rescues was not. He was flown to Washington Hospital Center burn unit for his burns and for treatment of smoke inhalation, his current status is unclear at this time.
The seeing impaired brother was released to family members at the scene and the dog survived his injuries. The Red Cross responded to help the family. The house at this point appears to be a total loss.
Margit Miller / Calvert Beacon