The Calvert County Board of County Commissioners dedicated a plaque to CalvertHealth, formerly Calvert Memorial Hospital, for its 100-year anniversary on Tuesday, September 17, 2019. The plaque was presented at Calvert House on Church Street, home of Calvert County’s first hospital.
Calvert House, a two-story hospital, opened its doors in 1919 and served as a hospital until the late 1940s.
It was founded by brothers, Drs. Elliott, Amos and Clarence Hutchins, and their brother-in-law, Dr. Issac N. King.
In its first year of service, the hospital treated a total of 179 patients. In 1997 the building was designated as historical.
The following is the timeline on Calvert County’s hospital:
1918 John Gray conveys land in Prince Frederick for the 1st Calvert County Hospital.
1919 Incorporated as the Calvert Hospital of Calvert County – a private non-profit institution governed by an independent Board of Directors – opens its doors.
1926 The hospital building enlarges – adding wings to each side of the original structure. In 1953 the building became the Calvert County Nursing Center and it now serves as home to the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office.
1948 The Board of Directors begins to plan for a new hospital building.
1949 Calvert County purchases 65 acres in Prince Frederick to construct a new hospital building.
1953 the building became the Calvert County Nursing Center and it now serves as home to the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office.
1953 Located on the property adjacent to today’s hospital, a new “modern” 29-bed facility opens – funded by Calvert County’s amusement tax fund.
Please enjoy the picture gallery below.
Margit Miller / Calvert Beacon