The Optimist Club of Calvert-Prince Frederick, through the Calvert Optimist Community Parks Foundation, Inc., each year awards two (2) scholarships providing financial assistance to students graduating from Calvert County public high schools for undergraduate study in the field of their choice at a college or university. These scholarship awards must be used for continued education at any college or university approved by the Optimist Club of Calvert.
The first-place scholarship recipient will receive the Optimist Club of Calvert-Knapp Scholarship; an award of $8,000, to be paid at the rate of $2,000 per year for up to four (4) years of continuing education.
The second-place scholarship recipient will receive the Optimist of Calvert-Jim King Scholarship; an award of $6,000, to be paid at the rate of $1,500 per year for up to four (4) years of continuing education.
Payments are made directly to the student in advance of the fall semester each year over a four-year period.
Applicants must be residents of Calvert County, MD and be in the current graduating class of a Calvert
County public high school.
- Children, stepchildren, and grandchildren of members of the Optimist Club of Calvert-Prince Frederick are not eligible for this award.
- Applicants must be accepted to a college or university approved by the Optimist Club of Calvert-Prince Frederick, prior to distribution of any award.
- Scholarship funds for ensuing years will be paid during the month of August, directly to the student, upon the receipt of a certificate of enrollment for the fall semester and a copy of the student’s current transcript.
(Mail transcript to address listed in No. 4 of Procedures Section.)
- Scholarship awards are scheduled for four (4) annual payments. Any lapse due to temporary/personal circumstances of up to one-year will be permitted, if the recipient advises the Calvert-Prince Frederick Optimist Club of the need to defer/delay payment. Failure to advise the Optimist Club of the need to defer payment may result in forfeiture of any future scholarship award payments.
- Scholarship recipients are expected to attend the July 10, 2020 meeting of the Optimist Club of Calvert Prince Frederick to receive their award.
Applications will be reviewed and the final selections for the successful awardees will be made by a committee consisting of members of the Optimist Club of Calvert-Prince Frederick. If either selected recipient chooses not to utilize the award, an alternative recipient will be chosen by this committee.
- Applicants will be judged on character, citizenship, scholastic ability, community service and financial need.
Recommendations from various organizations (school, church, Scout programs, 4-H, etc.) will be sought when deemed pertinent and necessary.
- Applications are available from the Guidance Office at the Calvert County public high school from which the applicant will be graduating or contact the Scholarship Committee (410-257-7012).
- Applications MUST BE RECEIVED by the Scholarship Committee on or before June 15, 2020. Late applications will not be accepted. Mail one copy of a completed application with all required information and attachments (incomplete applications will not be considered) to:
Optimist Scholarship Committee, c/o Betty Knapp, 8233 Pushaw Station Road, Owings, MD 20736.
- Only the Scholarship recipients will be notified of the decision of the Committee. Notification will be by letter in early July.
We are proud to announce that our 2020 Les Knapp Scholarship, valued at $8,000, was awarded to Brandi Bohrer. Brandi is a Huntingtown High graduate and plans to attend the College of Southern Maryland this fall majoring in Special Education.
We are also proud to announce that our 2020 Jim King Scholarship, valued at $6,000, was awarded to
. Natalie is a Calvert High graduate and plans to attend Towson University, majoring in Secondary Education and Mathematics beginning in the fall.
Margit Miller / Calvert Beacon