On June 12, 2016, at 2:30 pm, was discovered by a passerby at 2015 Chaneyville Road, (Owings Business Center) in Owings. Dunkirk Volunteer Fire Department was the primary department responding.
The investigation revealed that the fire was first detected along the outside of the front wall before the windy conditions helped it spread to the vinyl siding. The outside vegetation along the front of the building caught fire from discarded smoking materials. Once the fire reached the attic soffit, it gained access to the attic and spread into the structure. The preliminary cause has been ruled accidental.
The 3 story wood framed commercial building sustained an estimated $250,000 to the structure and $100,000 to the contents. There was a smoke alarm and fire alarm present and functioned. There were no sprinklers.
The Office of the State Fire Marshal is an agency of the Department of State Police dedicated to helping protect citizens from fire and explosion through a comprehensive program of education, inspection, investigation and fire protection engineering. For more information on fire safety call 1-800-525-3124, log onto our website at: www.mdsp.org/firemarshal and/or our Facebook Page.