Calvert County Government Urges Citizens to Prepare for Approaching Storms
The National Weather Service issued a blizzard watch this morning in anticipation of a high-impact winter storm that is expected to hit Maryland midday Friday.
The Calvert County Department of Public Safety urges citizens to be prepared for winter weather. To help citizens familiarize themselves with winter weather notices, the following describes what each notice means:
- Winter Storm Outlook – Winter storm conditions are possible in the next two to five days.
- Winter Weather Advisory – Winter weather conditions are expected to cause significant inconveniences and may be hazardous. When caution is used, these situations should not be life threatening.
- Winter Storm Watch – Winter storm conditions are possible within the next 36 to 48 hours. People in a watch area should review their winter storm plans and stay informed about weather conditions.
- Winter Storm Warning – Life-threatening, severe winter conditions have begun or will begin within 24 hours. People in a warning area should take precautions immediately.
- Blizzard Warning: Issued when winds of 35 mph or greater are combined with blowing and drifting snow with visibilities of a quarter mile or less. Seek indoor shelter immediately and stay indoors until the severe conditions end.
Residents are encouraged to consider family members or neighbors with special needs and assist them in preparing for the winter weather. To stay informed on the approaching weather event, residents should monitor local television channels, radio stations and the Internet.
Stay abreast of local information and weather notices by signing up for Calvert ALERT, a notification system that can send messages by text, email, fax, land line and pager. Residents are urged to visit the county website the Emergency Alerts link to register for the notification service. Those without Internet access can call 410-535-1600, ext. 2638, to sign up. Residents are also encouraged to stay on top of emergency information by downloading the free “Prepare Me Calvert” emergency preparedness mobile application now available for iOS (Apple) and Android devices through the Apple App Store or the Google Play market.
The Calvert County government web site at www.co.cal.md.us will have updates on local preparations and county government closures should they become necessary.