On October 22, 2017, at 10:07 am, a fire at 9011 Michael Way in Owings, was discovered by the occupant. She was in the garage at the time of the fire and first heard “popping” and “sizzling” noises. Upon inspection of the noises, she discovered the fire on the front porch. Prior to the fire, cigarette butts had been disposed of in a plastic container. The North Beach Volunteer Fire Department responded.
There was a smoke alarm present and operating in the 2 story single family dwelling. The preliminary cause was accidental from discarded smoking materials. The estimated loss to the structure was $55,000 and $5,000 to the contents. The family is being assisted by friends and relatives.
The Office of the State Fire Marshal is an agency of the Department of State Police dedicated to helping protect citizens from fire and explosion through a comprehensive program of education, inspection, investigation and fire protection engineering. For more information on fire safety call 1-800-525-3124, log onto our website at: Maryland State Fire Marshal and/or our Facebook Page.