With temperatures dropping to the mid-30’s this week and a chance of snow due to the strong arctic cold front coming our way, you may be tempted to crank up that wood stove or start a fire this evening. If you do, please keep a few things in mind:
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from heating equipment.
- Have heating equipment and chimney’s inspected and cleaned at least once a year by a professional.
- Remember to turn portable heaters off before leaving the room or going to bed.
- Make sure your fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop any sparks from flying into the room.
- Test your smoke and CO alarms at least once a month.
- Burn ONLY dry, seasoned wood in wood stoves and dry, seasoned pellets in pellet stoves.
- Never use your oven to heat your home.