Craig Kontra has chosen his Assistant Sheriff, should he win, Captain Ronald Naughton, or as he prefers “Ronnie”. A little background on Captain Naughton, as he began his career with the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) in Washington DC in 1992. His assignments included:
- The Patrol Division
- The Civil Disturbance Unit (CDU)
- The Gun Recovery Unit (GRU). This is a nationally recognized unit.
In September 1995, Naughton transferred laterally to the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office to continue his career to the present. His assignments included:
- Patrol Division 1995-2000
- Criminal Investigations Division – Detective (CID) 2000-2015
- Promoted to Corporal in 2002 and was transferred to the Drug Enforcement Unit (DEU) where he was supervisor from 2002-2004.
- Promoted to Sergeant in late 2004 and was transferred back to the Criminal Investigations Division where he was assigned to the Internal Affairs Unit.
- In 2005 he was reassigned to the Calvert Investigative Team (CIT). The unit was a select team of Detective Investigators from the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office, the Calvert County State’s Attorney’s Office and the Maryland State Police until 2015.
- In 2015, Ronnie was promoted to First Sergeant and was transferred to Twin Beach Patrol (Chesapeake and North Beach) where he served as Deputy Commander.
- In 2016, he promoted to Lieutenant.
- In 2020, Ronnie was promoted to Captain and was transferred to the Prince Frederick Sheriff’s Office, where he currently serves as the Patrol Bureau Commander.
Ronnie has been the recipient of many awards and accommodations:
- DEU Sheriff’s Citation for excellent performance
- State’s Attorney’s Office Detective of the Year
- Calvert County Sheriff’s Office Detective of the Year
- Numerous other agency awards and complimentary letters from citizens
Ronnie has been involved with the youngsters in Calvert County starting in 1999 thru 2021:
- Youth Hockey Coach 1999-2003
- Assisted with coaching – Youth football, baseball and tee-ball
- Criminal Justice Program Instructor/Coordinator – Calvert County Public Schools 2001-2021
- Skills USA Crime Scene Instructor and State Coordinator 2001-2016
- Reid School of Interview and Interrogation 2005
- Sheriff’s Office Polygraph Examiner 2012 – present
- Guest Speaker at CSM, Anne Arundel Community College and Bowie State University
Ronnie has been married to Glenna for 38 years.