On March 31, 2019 at 10:33 pm, a fire was discovered by the occupants at 211 Sailboat Court in Lusby. Solomon’s Volunteer Rescue Squad & Fire Department responded. A smoke alarm and a fire alarm were both present and were activated.
The preliminary cause of the fire was the result of hot embers escaping an outside charcoal grill which had been used earlier in the day. The area of origin was on the exterior beneath the deck. Strong winds cause the fire to spread quickly throughout the residence and hampered firefighting efforts. The estimated loss to the structure is $500,000 and $150,000 to the contents.
Two adults, two children and the family pets escaped the fire uninjured. The American Red Cross is assisting the family.