On March 9, 2018, the Southern Calvert Family Resource Center hosted a resource fair at Patuxent High School. The fair offered a variety of resources for families, including a lot of information. Babysitting was available for those who needed it for children aged 5-11 from 6:30 to 8:10 pm. There was a carnival set up for youngsters in the gym and food was available in the form of pizza in the cafeteria. The Maryland Food Bank had free groceries to give away.
Rico Nelsen was the Keynote Speaker on surviving poverty, second chances, and the importance of strong families. Following his speech, there was a followup session where the attendees could ask him questions.
Some of the other topics for parents and guardians in the classrooms were
- Cyberbullying with Kathryn Marsh, including on line recruitment of Human Sextrafficking and Cyber Sextortion.
- Early Literacy Experiences with Karen Jordan discussing how strong reading skills form the basis for all learning.
- Goal Setting with Ryan Stickel on setting expectations and setting the basics
- I Never Used to Like Math with Joe Sutton on researched-backed strategies to reduce math anxiety
- Parenting with PBIS with Kimberly Repass, Patty Berry and Joanne Gay focusing on implementing positive behavior interventions
- Preparing Your Child for Success with Guffrie Smith that taught parents raising children to make them successful
- Signs of Addictions for Parents with Bernie Fowler Jr who let parents know they needed to communicate with their children and communicate openly about drug usage
- The Benefits of Rigor with Lorraine Dunigan, Scott Goldstein & PHS Students that highlighted the short and long term benefits of increasing the academic rigor in children’s lives
- Become A Cell Phone Sleuth with Molly Gearhart and the Calvert County Sheriff’s Department on monitoring youngster’s cell phone and social media accounts.
- Yoga Basics with Lauren Rivers that gave an exploration of yoga poses and overall relaxation
In the hallways were all 38 vendors offering information and reading materials. And there were many parents asking questions and availing themselves of the brochures. Many had no idea how many resources were available to parents on many different subjects and all available locally.
Please enjoy the picture gallery below.
Margit Miller / Calvert Beacon