Tri-County Council for Southern Maryland serves as a forum for the resolution of region-wide issues and the attainment of regional goals. The Tri-County Council is a partnership of Federal, State and local governments, established more than fifty years ago as the regional development and planning organization for Southern Maryland. Commissioner Steve Weems represents Calvert County on the council.
On Tuesday, February 28, 2017, the Executive Director of the Tri County Council, Joh Hartline, gave a presentation to the Calvert Board of County Commissioners. Calvert County’s annual contribution to the Tri County Council is $94,200.
The Tri County Council (TCC) of Southern Maryland serves as a forum for the Southern Maryland region, and selects, advocates for and advances activities which best serve the citizens of the area. It promotes the social and economic development of the region and assists federal, state and county governments.
The Southern Maryland Counties fund 5% or $273,770 of the total tri County Council budget. This amount is used to leverage the other 95% of the total revenue of $5,305,231. County investments result in leveraging $5.3 million in grant programs. Only 11% of the county allocations are for grant matches, while the remaining funds are used for operational costs as they are not covered by grant programs.
The TCC coordinates the work of the Veterans Regional Advisory Committee (VRAC) and is an advocate for the Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) in Charlotte Hall and the Lexington Park Satellite Office (CBOC). As a result, there were 35 Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH) vouchers distributed to homeless veterans in the region. Veterans receive priority services for all workforce development services.
In 2018, new funding of $395,000 in a federal workforce grant will be for training and jobs for veterans. TCC acts as an administrative entity and fiscal agent in workforce development. For every $1 invested nationally, the return on the investment is $4.31, while in Southern Maryland it is $13.37. The Mobile Career Center has been deployed 91 times and served 787 residents. It solves the problem of clients getting to the centers. Federal and state funding in FY2017 was $2,535,863 and an additional $50,000 for Charles County for specific funding for Summer Youth Employment Program.
Tri County Council of Southern Maryland manages and promotes all marketing for alternative transportation modes such as carpools, vanpools, commuter buses and works with all Calvert County commuters who register for Ridematching and/or Guaranteed Ride Home (GRH) program in the Commuter Connections data base which is part of the Metropolitan Washington Council of Government. Expanded bus service has increased from 4 trips per day to 96 trips per day. 1,300 Calvert residents registered for the Rideshare and Guaranteed Ride Home. There is improved security at all 9 Park & Ride lots. The 800 number for commuter assistance rings at TCC and they field all inquiries and complaints. The funding source is from State with $285,717 in 2017. State required a match of $29,667 in 2017.
The Regional Infrastructure Advisory Committee (RIAC) is comprised of the State Delegates, 3 county administrators, Chamber of Commerce representatives, commanding officers of Patuxent Naval Air Station and Indian head NSWC, county staff, and local citizens. The RIAC develops a transportation priority list and forwards to the Maryland Secretary of Transportation for consideration for future funding. The top highway priority is the Thomas Johnson Bridge replacement, and the top regional transit priority is the Southern Maryland Rapid Transit, US 301corridor. RIAC has identified these projects: controlled highway access for US 301 Waldorf, enhancement of commuter us services in all 3 counties, upgrade of MD 2/4 from Main Street at Industry Lane to North Auto Drive and construction of a new Governor Harry W Nice Bridge.
The Tri County Council of Southern Maryland is also involved with the Southern Maryland Agricultural Development Commission (SMADC), the Heritage Area Consortium, the Maryland Broadband Cooperative, and the Joint Land Use Study (JLUS). The TCC impact on Calvert County has benefitted veterans, 34 recruitments for local businesses resulted in 97 citizens finding employment, $44K in training scholarships, 91 Mobile Career Center events served 787 jobseekers, 4,951 visits to seek hiring or employment in the past 2 years. The SMADC program helped Calvert preserve 5,310 acres since 2002, $4.8 million in Calvert County easements, with $550,000 additional earmarked for Calvert. Chesapeake Beach, North Beach and Solomons designated key investment zones as mini-grant recipients. The Maryland Broadband Cooperative runs the length of the county.
The current budget supports a staff of 31. For more information, please visit: http://tccsmd.org/
Margit Miller / Calvert Beacon